Romsey Community School – Hampshire Education Award Winners 2020
The Romsey School Community Team were celebrating this week as they were the recipients of the Hampshire Education Award 2020 for Community Impact. The award was given for the incredible work the Community Team has achieved over the past 9 months not only supporting families during the lockdown but also the massively successful Connect4Summer scheme.
The Connect4Summer scheme was awarded jointly with Park Community School in Havant, with the aim of supporting young people and families across Hampshire throughout the summer holidays. The scheme set up 28 child care locations across the county involving over 450 different schools. 2700 families were involved in the scheme which meant 7600 children were supported over this period. A team of 420 helpers, many of whom were unemployed, helped set up the centres and to provide a wide range of activities and help.
Activities at the centres involved helping families in so many ways including:
- Reading instructions and taking part in Library reading challenges
- Cooking, using Maths and English, with weighing and reading and following instructions, also a legacy skill
- Delivering basic first aid to support families, including CPR
- Providing opportunities to try out science experiments as a family
- Providing opportunities for group physical exercise, including the Daily Mile encouraging families to exercise together
All of which were delivered in a fun way without families realising that it was part of a catch up/keep up programme.
Jan Lefley, Community Manager, project lead and recipient of the award, said, “This has been a massive team effort and I am so proud that we could really make a difference.”
Jonathan de Sausmarez (Executive Leader of the Gateway Multi Academy Trust) stated, “This has been a magnificent achievement in very difficult times. To know that so many families are being helped and supported is humbling indeed. My sincere thanks to everyone involved.”
PHOTOGRAPH: Community Manager Jan Lefley with the Community Team